Sunday, August 7, 2011

Hungry and Creative, Fridge Raid Post!



So when you're hungry and bored, many times you come up with strange, confusing recipes. This was one of those times.
So, my grocery budget has been usurped recently by many other surprise costs that have been popping up (isn't that how it always goes?), and I've been having to get a little more creative with the staples in my house. I ended up making a delightfully weird recipe, that ended up being delicious!

This recipe was out of desire for something to dip rye crisps in (And the rye crisps themselves were a freebie, since they came from a food bank during a period of hungry desperation), and involved the staples I did have in my house.


Mean Green Soybean Dip
Yield: enough to dip a bunch of crackers in! (Yeah, I didn't measure- so what? Wanna fight about it?)
  • 1/4 c. shelled edamame, either hand shelled, or if you're lazy like me, scooped out of a bag of frozen ones.
  • 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 2 Tbsp cream cheese
  • 2 Tbsp Mayo
  • Herbs and spices (I like garlic, onion, black pepper, and salt, but if you like something else, go for it!)
Now, putting it together is the super easy part; Whip everything together in your food processor, blender, or Magic Bullet! The cool thing about this recipe is it's healthy, turns a very bright green, and still tastes very un-vegetable like. My fiance, the anti-green gentleman that he is, gobbled this up and wanted more!

This is a dip where you can definitely tweak the amount of each ingredient. You could add more soybeans for a protien boost, or up the olive oil for a smoother texture (it did have a bit of a thick consistency, and it wasn't 100% smooth. ). My hubby mentioned a bit of prepared wasabi mixed in would be awesome. Kids, once they get over the fact that it's green, will probably snarf it down faster than you can make it :)

So, one small recipe for an after work or after school snack.

Happy Noms!


No comments:

Post a Comment